Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fastest ageing genre?

I'm currently in the middle of selling off some games from last gen and thought of something. Now mind you, I'm not saying I thought of something original or spectacular. But still, it seems to me that certain genres age waaayfaster than others. What I mean by this is that games of a genre (for example racing games) often become obsolete once a sequel is released, or even a good racing game in another franchise. On the other hand, in other genres, a sequel might even spur people to go out and buy the previous instalments, just for the story if nothing else.So, now to my question: What do you guys think is the fastest ageing genre? Is it my example (racing games) or something else completely? I know I'm selling off pretty much everything I have in some genres as I plan my purchase of next gen gaming consoles...Fastest ageing genre?
Definately generic EA sports titles. So the simulation genre. You're not gonna go back and play simcity 1 if you've got simcity 4 will you? Or fifa 1998 if you've got fifa 2008. Fastest ageing genre?
WW2 fps.They never stop coming! It's not like the war changes or anything...
Yeah, probably generic sports titles. I beg to differ about simulation titles and WWII FPSes though; there are many newer city-building titles out, but Pharaoh is still a great game. And there may be too many WWII FPS games, but some of the early ones (like MOHAA and CoD) are still the best.
[QUOTE=''Gangans'']Definately generic EA sports titles. So the simulation genre. You're not gonna go back and play simcity 1 if you've got simcity 4 will you? Or fifa 1998 if you've got fifa 2008. [/QUOTE]That is so true! However I found myself playing older sports games such as FIFA 2000 just because they mean something to me. I used to find them really difficult and spent hours on them but I'll go back and play on them to relive some childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment