Sunday, April 11, 2010

Games may not be original or do anything new...but I don't mind anymore...

Sequels, another RTS, another WWII shooter, another JRPG, another Oblivion rip-off, another FPS about a super soldier or space marine killing aliens or biological experiment baddies gone bad...I don't care, as long as the games` deliver, I'd play it all over again.Take Company of Heroes for example. It's really just another WWII RTS game that plays very similar to Dawn of War. But what Relic did with the game is what separates this one from all the others. As long as devs make quality games, I'd play it even though itmay be on familiar grounds.Once in awhile, we may get a idea like Starcraft, Mario 64, Half-Life, or Bioshock that can shock the industry, but a game like this doesn't come around to often, maybe once every two gaming-generations. So I think in this day and age, it's extrememly difficult, if not, impossible for a developer to come up with a original, revolutionary concept for a game that can also be a critical and commercial success. So I don't mind itanymore if developers do what they do best as long as they deliver the goods. Like Company of Heroes for example, it maybe nothing new but as long as its awesome, I don't mind.Games may not be original or do anything new...but I don't mind anymore...
I think I am in the same state of mind as you. Take the Dragon Quest series for instance (one of my favorite series), if you look at each game they really have done nothing revolutionary or new, to be frank, in each sequential game. Now of course they might add little features that weren't in previous installments, or gameplay tweaks, but it is at heart the same thing (some see that as bad, others as good). Yet I am always there to play them because the quality of each game is so high up there and each one has its own unique appeal that it keeps me coming back.Games may not be original or do anything new...but I don't mind anymore...
Yes, basically all you can ask for is a really good game. Take Resident Evil 4 for example. While it didn't do anything particularly new, it did many things to perfection and was an all around wonder game and pure joy to play from beginning to end (and many times over). And it will always be remembered as one of the greatest games ever despite the lack of innovation...and rightly so.
I almost completely disagree, while solid well made games are great it's innovation that drives any industry and the game industry isn't any different. The next step for games in my mind is improved A.I. having the computer actually make choices and decisions instead of having them programmed in. That is why I'm so excited for Bioshock.
Yeah a lot of people think that we need ever game to do somthing that no other game does but there isevolution and revolution what we need is both but not nessesarly in equal measures. Where game should be different is storys, if a game is going to be a story they may as well do it right.
There's not much new left to possible do. I'm sure somebody could come up with something new if they thought about it for a long enough period of time. Besides, when a great game with original gameplay does come out, other developers make ripoffs of it to try and copy it's success, rather than come up with their own original game. But it would be nice to see something new every once in a while.
Exactly how I feel... I'll play WWII FPS games over and over again, because I like the basic formula so much.
  • eye shadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment