Thursday, April 15, 2010

Should developers support the Mac?

I don't. Now don't get me wrong, I was raised on Macs and I appreciate giving mac users a greater choice of games. But there are two main reasons why I think the Mac should not be getting more support from developers and publishers.1) Increased cost of gamesDeveloping for an additional platform like the Mac is going to push up developers' costs and publishers are going to have to pass on these costs to their customers. It doesn't seem likely that they will recoup their investment, given the small userbase of the Mac (compared to the PC and consoles)Why should we have to pay more when games are already pretty expensive?2) Decreased quality of gamesMacs have limited upgradeability with their hardware (you can't change the CPU or the graphics chipset, unless you own a top of the line Mac and how many people do?) and this will affect the quality of games being developed. If a Mac title is being developed at the same time as the PC, the game will have decreased graphics, a weaker engine etc to allow Macs with their inferior hardware (have you seen the spec on an iMac?) to run it. If the Mac platform had the same level of flexibility as the PC, then this wouldn't be a problem.What are your thoughts?Should developers support the Mac?
Mac should support the developers...simple as that.For instance, having upgrade options for your mac etc.Should developers support the Mac?
I highly doubt developing for the Mac will increase cost overall, otherwise developers would not bother doing it in the first place. There's a large Mac userbase and I'm sure devs would like to target it. Can you provide any examples where developing on a Mac has increased the cost of games? Off the top of my head, I know Quake 4, Call of Duty 2 and World of Warcraft are all available for Mac, and the cost of the game was not changed in any way. Also, for point #2 - see Rage. There was a live demo being run on a Mac right beside the PC version and they looked exactly the same.So all in all, I see no downsides to developing for a Mac. If a developer wants to increase their userbase, why not? I highly doubt it will negatively impact the versions on other platforms as you seem to expect.
No game that has ever been developed for a mac have had it's quality reduced. In fact most of them run more stable, Unreal Tourny and WoW are fine examples of this at least for myself. I highly doubt it would raise the cost of production or otherwise console developers would stick to only one platform. And inferior hardware? Geeks will always be geeks and have something powerful in their hands, mainstream users and majority of users wether it's PC or Mac don't have the latest technologies and developers always have that in mind. I have a new Macbook Pro and runs OSX and Windows faster than any machine I've had, it doesn't have the latest video card, but it will last me a couple of years and I'm sure it will run Gears of Wars and Unreal Tournament 3 just as good as any PC, PS3 or Xbox outthere.
If people want to play games on a computer, just get Windows. Seriously.Feel free to flame me. :)
i wanna know what mac is gunna do about direct x 10. some say you wont need for a long time and i can agree with that. but i really want crysis on direct x 10!!!
Why sould Mac owners be left out of the loop? I say let them play games!
[QUOTE=''yellowdatsun'']i wanna know what mac is gunna do about direct x 10. some say you wont need for a long time and i can agree with that. but i really want crysis on direct x 10!!![/QUOTE]Developers would have to port it over to OpenGL and user whatever else is required to port the sound and controls. I'd like to see more support for the Macs. Sure they may be a bit more limited, but so is the Wii - compared to the 360 and PS3 - and devs have been able to pull off some pretty decent-looking titles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment